My Bill Walton Moment

 <script type='text/javascript' src='//pl23401300.highcpmgate.com/9d/49/d8/9d49d8c942c82563c52c12d32d8ded8c.js'></script>





On Monday evening during PTI, Michael Wilbon concluded his tribute to the late Bill Walton by stating, "Everybody's got a story."


I can personally vouch for that statement.

In 1991, I was still recovering from a serious injury caused by a car accident while I was out jogging. Despite being on crutches, I managed to make it to Freedom Hall to watch a Cardinal hoops game.

As I struggled down the steps to my seat, Bill Walton, who was commentating on the game for TV, walked up the aisle towards me.


He stopped and asked me what had happened and how I was doing.

Walton was no stranger to surgeries himself. It's been reported that he had undergone 39 surgeries due to foot problems, leg problems, and a broken back. He knew what it was like to experience pain, and because of his compassionate nature, he wanted to offer words of encouragement.

And he did just that.


His kindness was not superficial. He spent several minutes chatting with me before continuing on his way.

Everybody's got a story.

I can certainly attest to that.


What became evident from the countless comments made after the news of his passing spread was that Bill Walton was an incredibly decent person. He cared about others, was interesting to talk to, asked questions, and was intelligent.

For anyone who watched a game he commentated on, especially those with Dave Pash as his partner, it was clear that Walton was unlike anyone else. He seemed to come from a different universe or perhaps another planet.

I'll admit that it took me some time to appreciate his style of commentary. He was an acquired taste. Eventually, I succumbed to his childlike charm and enthusiasm, and I cherished it.

89

What a fascinating individual he was.


And what an incredible basketball player.


Without a doubt, he is one of the greatest college basketball players of all time, and some would argue that he is at the top of that list.

In the NCAA title game against Memphis State, he is credited with making 21 out of 22 shots. That is true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He also dunked four more shots, but they were not counted due to the rule at the time that prohibited dunking.

Hooks, turnarounds, layups.


Sure, Ronnie Robinson, who was 6'8", was no match for Walton. But even against a formidable opponent like Red Klotz, making 25 out of 26 shots in a title game would be impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Palace reacts to reports of removing Meghan from Harry's birthday photo

Palace reacts to reports of removing Meghan from Harry's birthday photoBuckingham Palace has finally broken its silence amid reports of...